Suggest ways to wean off Lexapro

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: I have been on 10mg Lexapro for 10 yrs. want to get off it. i have taken 1 pill every other day for 2 wks. now i am on my 3rd day without taken any. am i setting my self up for withdrawl symptoms as i have read that anyone coming off this drug has them some much stronger than others.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
less chances of withdrawal symptoms now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

Lexapro can cause withdrawal symptoms.

You have taken 10mg every other day for two weeks. You have not taken the drug since three days. Have you experienced any withdrawal symptoms till now?

If not, then chances of getting withdrawal symptoms decrease with time. Every individual reacts differently to drugs.

However, to be on safer side, i would suggest you to now take lexapro after every two days for another two weekd. You can gradually increase the drug free interval.
This is one strategy of withdrawing from drug.

You can stop the drug when you feel that there is no relapse of depressive symptoms or no withdrawal symptoms.
This is a subjective observation.

Keep in touch with your doctor.

Hope this helps.