Suggest ways to wean off Klonopin

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I began taking klonopin about 3 yrs ago. I had a tooth infection and had anxiety. Had no idea about the addiction that could occur. I weaned mysef very slowly off from it and now take 1/4 of 0.5 mgs twice a day. Would like to be rid of it-but have withdrawal now. Would like to know how to withdraw safely?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Taper to avoid severity of withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

3 years is a longer duration and even with proper tapering it is bound to cause some withdrawal effects for at least one to two weeks. However , they will subside after that. You have to gradually taper it to minimize the withdrawal effects. Try half a tablet of 0.25 mg twice for a week then 1/3 twice for a week then 1/4 twice for a week the 1/4 once a day for a week and then stop it altogether. If there is severe withdrawal then you should go to your doctor immediately. However, most likely you will recover well if you taper it correctly.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil