Suggest ways to treat the soreness in the big toe after being hit from a drawer

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: Last night I was in my laundry room and i pulled the drawer out of a 3 drawer small plastic drawer cabinet and as I was pulling it out the drawer hit the top of my big toe. There is no swelling but the top of my toe just above the nail is very sore when I press on it and it is a pink color on the skin where the drawer hit my toe. I started soaking it in epson salt this morning. I can bend the toe and walk on it. Do you think I did some damage to my toe? Also what else can I do for the soreness. Please advise
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Elevation and Ibuprofen if it suits.

Detailed Answer:

Hi.

Noted the history and understood the concerns.

Since you can walk on it and can bend it, the toe looks to have edema due to trauma and does not indicate any fracture - as per the history you have provided.

You can certainly do the following:

1. Elevate the affected foot above heart level in laying down position so that the edema and thus the pain is reduced.
2. Take an anti-inflammatory medication with painkiller property like Ibuprofen.

Watch for any other symptoms and signs like blackening.
These will help you an early recovery.

You may also post clear and focused photos of both feet (to compare) if possible as these help a lot.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,

Dr. T Chandrakant
General Surgeon