Suggest ways to treat muscle stiffness and numbness

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am walking more since we adopted a puppy. Now, my outer thighs are tight and this morning, I found myself scratching the very tight muscles to loosen them up. Any suggestions as to how to limber up, soften the muscles in my outer thighs. They seem a bit numb as well so I'm wondering if it is circulatory related. Thank you. Diane
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can use muscle relaxants and may resolve spontaneously

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the history you have shared, it is normal that after a prolong off from strenuous activities and walks if somebody gets back to it, so thigh muscles can sprain for few days. Since with the new puppy your walk time and exertion has exceed than before so it's likely to be the case right now. Using OTC analgesics like acetaminophen alongwith muscle relaxants like orphenidrine or tizanidine for few days will help to loosen up a bit. Also keep on using supplements for B12, D3 and folic acid. as these can have benefits in conditions like these.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 7 days later
Your answer helped with relieving my anxiety but the problem still persisits.
My outer thigh muscles are very tight and tender to the touch.
I'm stiff in the back as well as upper legs. If I were to self-diagnose - I think it's a combination of arthritis and sciatica. I don't want to take steroids. I bought a teeter table to try hanging upside down to stretch my spine. What do you thinK?

Diane
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It doesn't look like sciatica or arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing your feedback. Actually it sounds less likely to be sciatica or arthritis, as sciatica goes from back of thigh down to the feet, with flashing pains and isn't tender to touch rather occasionally feels relieved when touched so it appears to be local muscle spasms. You can use analgesics and muscle relaxants as we have discussed earlier as exercise may worsen the symptoms unless guided properly by a physiotherapist. If it doesn't resolve get an orthopedician review to examine the involved muscles in detail and blood flow problems may be ruled out. Moreover it doesn't appear to be arthritis either because arthritis involves joints and not muscles so you don't need steroids so far or any time in near future hopefully. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D