• question-icon

Suggest ways to treat a bleeding wound

Posted on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 in Lump
Question: I was helping my husband unload a heavy metal cabinet from his truck. It caught my finger and took off a small chuck of skin, the circumference about the size of an English pea. It has been about an hour, I have kept pressure on it, but it is still bleeding when I take the pressure off. How do I treat this?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tetanus shot should be given.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

This wound does not need any special treatment as it is no large. The only reason you should visit your doctor is a tetanus shot.

Please wash the wound with clean water and an antiseptic agent. To stop bleeding please put a compress on it for 12 hours. You should also keep the hand higher (put a pillow under it when lying down).
Once the bleeding will stop, you should change the bandage every 24 hours. Such wound can heel even few weeks.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon