Suggest ways to taper off Benadryl, Klonopin and Sinemet

Posted on Wed, 23 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been taking Benadryl for some time, per doctor's orders....tid and qid to relieve symptoms of allergic reactions to a plethora of prescription Medications. Just underwent DBS surgery, (because I'm allergic to so many meds for Parkinson's) and will be hooked up to the electrical control box this Friday. From my reading, it appears I need to slowly withdraw from Benadryl, Klonopin, and sinemet. Is there a schedule outlined somewhere, that tells you exactly how to do this? I won't see the neurologist that ordered these meds for awhile. First I will be dealing with the neurosurgeons. Any specific schedule available??
Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, You need to follow a specific schedule to taper off the medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns.

You should continue taking Benadryl until you are off of all other medicines that have potential allergic effects. Once all others discontinued, stop that day the Benadryl. It has no specific schedule.

For Klonopin:
You should decrease the dose by 0.25mg per day for the next 7 days (1 week).
Then a more of 0.25mg/day for the next week.
And so on until you end up the dosage with the last week being on 0.25mg daily dose.

For Sinemet:
Break the tablet in half and instead of taking full tablet, take half tablet for one week. Then take half of the half tablet for next week and stop after these two weeks. It will save you from neuroleptic malignant syndrome like side effects of abrupt discontinuation of sinemet.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating and don't forget to close the discussion.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. Keep a follow up some days after this visit session ends.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Muhammad Hanif