Suggest ways to rule out tinea infection

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a skin rash that is not tinea. It itches a lot, creates tiny bumps does not respond to fungicides after 2 weeks of treatment it has spread to the back of my hands.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please send a photo of the affected area

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are going through.

Please send a photo of the affected area so I can see rash myself.

Are the tiny bumps red? flat? filled with pus? white headed?
Are they itchy all the time or is there anything that triggers the itchiness (detergent, etc?)

Thank you.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 11 hours later
I have the rash on the back and sides of my head in the hair, in hair around my groin, around my waist and on the backs of my hands. The bumps are red, raised, about as dense as goose bumps but not as large. The bumps are not pus-filled or white headed.
The itching is persistent and more pronounced when I am perspiring. The ketoconazole shampoo makes my scalp itch. The other treatments seem to reduce or not affect the itching. The rash existed before any treatment began, but it did spread when I tried to treat it.
I do not know how to send a photo.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calamine lotion&skin scrapping examination recommended...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I am sorry for the late reply.

I was wondering how the rash was today?

It seems like eczema more than a fungal infection.

Calamine lotion is recommended together with moisturizing cream.
A further skin scrapping examination under microscope is suggested to determine the right diagnosis.

Try not to use ketoconazole shampoo. A steroid shot might be prescribed to stop the itching apart anti-histaminics

You can send the photos as attachment at the following e-mail address:

YYYY@YYYY

with subject line: "Attn. to Dr.Albana Sejdini"

Wish fast recovery.