Suggest ways to rule out appendicitis

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I just started to have symptoms of what could be appendicitis. Some swelling on the right side of abdomen which I noticed for some time. Today, the area started to be slightly painful, on and off, and slightly sensitive to the touch. What are the steps I should take and how soon?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If pain suddenly increased then please see a doctor or visit your nearest ER at the earliest

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

If these symptoms persist more than 4-5 days then it is not likely to be appendicitis since it would manifest with sudden pain that increases in 1-2 days and then lead to perforation and collapse.

In your case it may be abscess, tumor or distended bowel. You should see a doctor and get done few relevant investigations as per the findings.

Let me know if your having any further queries.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee