Suggest ways to rule out amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi i am lost and just need a bit of reassurance. Long post coming. To start off i believe i have sever health anxiety. It’s been happening for three months. Before that i had no prior medical scares at all and i was and still am(from a medical standpoint) in tip top shape. Blood work is great. Had a ct scan on my brain and it was normal. Urine is normal. Everything is normal. About a month ago i started to get this weird feeling in my hands that i just didn’t quite feel right it was like weakness mix with i don’t know but it was just off. Went to the er they said see someone but everything looks fine. Went on the next few days. Working. I am a reseller on eBay so what i do is spend 10+ hours a day a few times a week picking through big bins a clothes. One day when i was done something in my wrist inflamed and the er doc said it was my nerves. The next day something in my other wrist inflamed and they said it was my nerves. Was told it was carpel tunnel. Me having health anxiety. I research. And come up with a million other things that i probably shouldn’t be worried about like ms and als. It also didn’t help that i wore my wrist braces for a week straight pretty much and my muscles got really weak. So now mentally i feel like I’m breaking down. I guess my question is can you pinpoint what i have? In both arms my hands are weaker than normal but more in my left. The atrophy is in both arms and i believe it is mostly the forearms. In my left arm i feel the nerve pain mostly in my thumb index finger and middle finger. Occasionally I’ll feel a little twinge in the other two. In my right arm i have a bit of pain coming from my inner elbow and when i press it i feel it in my pinky and ring finger. Like i said i have health anxiety and read up on too much so I’m not sure what is the anxiety or what is another illness. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not ALS or MS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is secure that you don’t have ALS because of your age and symptoms, MS also is very unlikely because of the symptoms too.

You refer about atrophy, but it wasn’t confirmed by the Doctors that evaluated you, right?

Carpal tunnel syndrome may e a possibility, if so, don’t worry, it is an easily treatable condition.

Since I cannot evaluate you medically, I can only express my opinion, most likely it is anxiety that is distorting your senses.

Just to peace your mind, get nerves condition study done.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 21 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. I didn’t realize anxiety was this powerful to cause inflammation and mess with my nerves. I wore a brace on both wrist for a week or more. I didn’t get a medical diagnosis of atrophy but i guess it’s not maybe they just got way weaker. And my wrist braces had a rigid piece in it to stop my wrist from bending so that didn’t help
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
read below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Before to use any braces or other treatment possibilities, it is necessary to get diagnosed correctly.

Carpal tunnel syndrome may be evaluated correctly in nerve conduction study.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 11 minutes later
Could my muscles have become weaker and atrophied wearing the wrist braces. I wore them for like two weeks straight pretty much and didn’t do much?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Two weeks is a relatively sufficient time to cause some degree of muscle atrophy if there was no use of the muscles.

Please start again with normal movements and periodic squeezing of softball for example.

Hope this helps.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee