• question-icon

Suggest ways to rule out GERD

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am having difficulty in swallowing and getting a mild pain on my lower throat also having a feeling that my foodpipe is stuck with something. getting burps. Looks like my throat is also impacted by this. I guess this is called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Please suggest any medications.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Yes, the symptoms mimic GERD if there is no other symptoms like fever and malaise.
I would suggest you the following in such a situation:
PPI like Omeprazole.
Antacid liquid 3 teaspoonful every three hourly, particularly when you are on empty stomach.
Domperidone or Reglan every 8 hours - you need a prescription for some of the medicines which you may have to take from the Pharmacy/Medical Stores.
Soft bland diet in small quantities and frequently - like breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner.
Sleep in a upright position.
Control of anxiety and/or stress.
No smoking, no alcohol if you take these.
Avoid any foods and beverages that instigate or enhance your problems.

I hope this should help you.
If there is no complete relief with these, please go for upper GI Endoscopy and further tests as your Doctor/Gastroenterologist may advise you for additional management.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon