Suggest ways to regulate hypertension in an elderly person

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I am a 72 year old White male in excellent health with a high blood pressure problem. I have been taking Alpha Blockers for 10 years. I have been taking Beta Blockers for 2 months Carvedilol.The Beta blockers have horrible side effects and I mean horrible! They do keep my Pulse at between 45 and 60 but my Blood Pressure fluctuates between 165/85 ND 140/75. never ABOVE 85. Why would you have a low pulse and high Blood Pressure, are they not the same Blood and Heart? I do a complete Gym workout 4 days a week and have done so non-stop for 15 years.I have seen a Cardiolgist one time for an Echo test. I also have AFIB. I have taken Bayer baby aspirn for 20 years daily.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. A slow heart rate doesn't always produce a low blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello. While a beta blocker does lower heart rate and somewhat dilates arteries, just because the heart rate is slowed--and your afib is one reason you're on the medication--that doesn't always lower the high blood pressure.

Your cardiologist should consider a calcium channel blocker as a different kind of medication that can work on both your afib and your hypertension without giving you the side effects your having now.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 hours later
What is a healthy pulse rate for my age and the fact that I exercise? The HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE is not caused by a High pulse? Is that correct? Do I need to take all 3 medications for BP or just have the doctor switch to Calcium channel blockers so I can get rid of the side effects. He put me on the Beta Blocker because my BP was 215/105. Do calcium blockers have the same lowering techniques and no horrible side effects? I really do not see any reason to take 3 pills for anything.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A reasonable heart rate for your age would be in the 70's

Detailed Answer:

Healthy is a relative term but at your age group the usual normal rate is in the 70's unless you're on a beta blocker.

A high pulse with afib can lead to high blood pressure, but not always.

The calcium channel blocker alone may be sufficient to lower your heart rate and your blood pressure. It doesn't work in the same way as a beta blocker, though--it's in a different medication category. So is the alpha blocker.

It may take both the calcium channel blocker and the alpha blocker to manage your heart rate and your blood pressure, but I don't think you'll need to add the beta blocker
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 58 minutes later
Thanks for your helpful answers. I will contact my Dr and see if we can get these medications changed and I will inform you of the response I get.Can my regular family DR change my medications as he put me on the Alpha Blockers years ago or does a cardiologist have to change prescriptions.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Your family doctor can make the change

Detailed Answer:
No need for you to see the cardiologist for the medication change
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar