Suggest ways to reduce swelling in the leg caused by pedal edema

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have pedal edema and it was suggested that my taking amiodipine was the cause. I did stop that a few days ago, but the swelling on my left leg went from the calf down to the foot and is more pronounced then the right leg. My blood pressure reading was 125/80 this morning after taking losartan/hctz last night. How long will it take to get the edema under control?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that usually the swelling that happen b coz of Amlodipine happens on foot specially ankles. Your Bp is perfectly undercontrol.

As the swelling was on your legs so its important that we should consider other factors also that can be the reason of your swelling like reduced cardiac function, kidney dysfunction.

I would like to suggest you to get few tests done

1. Complete Blood Count
2. Kidney function test
3. Echocardiography

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad