Suggest ways to reduce high triglycerides level in blood
Dietary modification plus medication.
Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.
For the effective control of triglycerides one must have the following:
Dietary modifications like avoiding fatty meals, fast and junk foods, alcohol and smoking. Regular exercise, increase intake of vegetables, fruits, whole grain meals are also equally effective.
Medications like Fibrates or Niacin are exclusively used to treat high triglycerides level. However their use is associated with certain side effects.
Fish oil which contains high amounts of essential fatty acids called Omega-3 fatty can lower triglyceride levels.
Kindly provide the following information so as to analyze your condition properly to give suggestions like your age, gender, levels of total Cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol, any associated medical illness, intake of any drug, also your height and body weight.
Awaiting your reply for better analysis.
Suggestive of mixed dyslipidemia.
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hi & Welcome back.
Thanks for your reply, noted the contents.
Owing to my busy schedule I could not attend to your reply immediately.
It is not only the Triglycerides, even the Total Cholesterol, LDL & VLDL levels are also increased. And as per the given data, your body mass index is HIGH.
BMI = 29.71 kg/m2 (Overweight) Normal BMI range: 18.5-25 kg/m2
Based on the above results had I been your treating doctor I would have advised you:
1. A combination of tablet Atorvastatin+Fenofibrate once daily in the evening.
2. This combination is generally safe, however if you develop muscle pain or right upper abdominal pain you will have to report to your treating physician.
3. To choose foods to low Cholesterol and saturated trans fat.
4. To reduce the intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk to reduce your saturated and trans fat. Choose skim milk, low fat or fat-free dairy products.
5. To avoid fried food, and use healthy oils in cooking, such as refined oil.
6. To increase the amount of fiber you eat. A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels.
7. To lose extra weight by doing regular exercise.
8. To consult a physician for further evaluation.
Hope the suggestions given above would be useful.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of high triglyceride levels
- What does high triglyceride level suggest
- High triglyceride levels myth
- Diets for high triglyceride levels
- Signs of high triglyceride levels
- Jaggery high triglyceride levels
- Treatment of high triglyceride levels
- How can i reduce high triglyceride levels
- Appendicitis high triglyceride levels
- Causes of high triglyceride level