• question-icon

Suggest ways to reduce blood cholesterol levels

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: How to reduce calestrol level?
How to improved in diet for better heart ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Initially with lifestyle changes

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Cholesterol can be reduced with diet and regular exercise.

In diet, a low fat low calorie diet with a decent intake of fiber is all that you need.

Carefully analyse the foods that are providing you the unnecessary fat and replace those with healthier foods like sprouts, fruits or salads.

Avoid fatty and oily foods like fried patties and full cream milk and its products. A moderate fat intake consisting of unsaturated fats is recommended. Saturated and trans fat gets converted to cholesterol very easily, and are best avoided.
You may continue to take nuts and dry fruits in moderation.
In non-veg choose from the leanest cuts and pay attention to method of cooking. You really do not want a piece with oil dripping from it. Boiled or roasted chicken and other meats are much healthier and easy to digest.

Fiber is important and you must ensure a liberal intake of vegetables and salads. A fiber rich diet facilitates the reduction in blood cholesterol and promotes regular bowl movements and support weight management by regulating the calorie intake.

Avoid Bakery products like white bread and buns, cakes and cookies as these are mostly made with refined flour and contain Trans or Saturated fat, responsible to increase the cholesterol, and have sugar too.

In nutshell fatty foods like cheese, butter, ghee, icecreams, cakes, pastries, cookies are best avoided. Drinking cleaner water and hygienic home cooked food also helps long run.

In exercise you can do a regular exercise of atleast 30 min a day. It can include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, cycling, etc.

Recheck your lipid profile after 4-6 months of lifestyle changes.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 minutes later
Thanks for response.

Also can you share any medicine if required
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to see reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

To decide about need for medicine, I need to see your reports. Mostly if LDL is more than 190 and there are any other cardiovascular risk factors, then medicine is started.

Lifestyle changes are needed anyways.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj