• question-icon

    Suggest ways to reduce blood cholesterol levels

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: How to reduce calestrol level?
How to improved in diet for better heart ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Initially with lifestyle changes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.

Cholesterol can be reduced with diet and regular exercise.

In diet, a low fat low calorie diet with a decent intake of fiber is all that you need.

Carefully analyse the foods that are providing you the unnecessary fat and replace those with healthier foods like sprouts, fruits or salads.

Avoid fatty and oily foods like fried patties and full cream milk and its products. A moderate fat intake consisting of unsaturated fats is recommended. Saturated and trans fat gets converted to cholesterol very easily, and are best avoided.
You may continue to take nuts and dry fruits in moderation.
In non-veg choose from the leanest cuts and pay attention to method of cooking. You really do not want a piece with oil dripping from it. Boiled or roasted chicken and other meats are much healthier and easy to digest.

Fiber is important and you must ensure a liberal intake of vegetables and salads. A fiber rich diet facilitates the reduction in blood cholesterol and promotes regular bowl movements and support weight management by regulating the calorie intake.

Avoid Bakery products like white bread and buns, cakes and cookies as these are mostly made with refined flour and contain Trans or Saturated fat, responsible to increase the cholesterol, and have sugar too.

In nutshell fatty foods like cheese, butter, ghee, icecreams, cakes, pastries, cookies are best avoided. Drinking cleaner water and hygienic home cooked food also helps long run.

In exercise you can do a regular exercise of atleast 30 min a day. It can include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, cycling, etc.

Recheck your lipid profile after 4-6 months of lifestyle changes.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 minutes later
Thanks for response.

Also can you share any medicine if required
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to see reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

To decide about need for medicine, I need to see your reports. Mostly if LDL is more than 190 and there are any other cardiovascular risk factors, then medicine is started.

Lifestyle changes are needed anyways.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Vaishalee Punj

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 2372 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Ldl

doctor1 MD

Am 55 and totally unable to lose weight despite eating less than l000 cals a day. Have IBD and cannot tolerate starches. Was informed by my...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have high triglycerides (360 mg/dl). Also Vitamin D3 is less 7.5 ng/ml. Let me know if I need to use any medicine. Attached the blood report....

doctor1 MD

please look on attached report what is hilited and what is cause

doctor1 MD

my husband recently got examined for company meedical test (age 37/ height 170/ wt 60) . his cholestrol level is 238 & LDL cholestrol was 152.6....

doctor1 MD

Good morning from East London, South Africa.

Could you please tell me if there is a LDL particle size test that one could request the Laboratories...

doctor1 MD

Dr My Lipid Profile is : Chol - 169, LDL 113, HDL 30. TMT report says mild positive , Max worked attined 7.6 mets, exercise duration 6.22 min, THR...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

186 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Vaishalee Punj
  • Q - Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...

  • Q - Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...

  • Q - Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?

  • Q - Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...

  • Q - Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...

  • Q - Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...

  • Q - Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...

  • Q - What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?

  • Q - Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...

  • Q - Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...