Suggest ways to recover from lymphatic ulcer

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: The skin problem i have is so bad. The open wound is almost fully healed. The dr said to moisturize the area 2x a day. But doing so has not helped. The skin is so rough. Applying the lotion is awful feels so rough n thick like an alligator. It is still painful to sit . I need this to heal and stop. Been dealing with this since nov 2015 . Any ideas what might work? The pain varies from a level of 4 up to a ten.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult for complete healing of ulcer/ lymphedema

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query. I have read it 7 understand your concern.
You had some wound, which has healed externally but the scar left is rough & painful while sitting. The lymphedema is still to resolve.
I have read both of your previous queries...& also seen the picture you had sent. I hope, the lesion has healed considerably by now, there is no raw unhealed area/ discharge & a dry , rough & still painful scar remains.
* In this respect, I would suggest following possibilities-
- It was a chronic , infected ulcer..the scar formed will take many months/ even years to come back to normal skin texture & smoothness, color.
- The pain on pressure can be due to scar tissue being tender( needs some padding while you sit ) & not completely healed / some infection still lies below the scar which needs more treatment & care( such condition has pain & induration after deep touch ) / Lymphedema itself can cause pain on pressure & also fibrosis of scar making it rough.
* So the line of action in such condition should be-
- Get a recheck up of your treating doctor.. to evaluate absence of any infection beneath the scar. If it is there you will need more specific treatment with antibiotic/ anti inflammatory drugs & local management by clearing the scar so the the thing can be dressed well.
- Doctor will examine you for the Lymphedema.. locally as well as by imaging investigations to note block in the lymphatic system& specific treatment .. so as to resolve edema underneath the scar tissue creating pain on pressure.
I feel the answer was informative & helpful to you. Any follow up query is welcome,
Thanks.