Suggest ways to quit smoking

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello Doctor,

I want to ask about the medicines I can take to quit smoking.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
nicotine supplements are easily available...

Detailed Answer:

It is good decision you have taken. The first and the foremost requirement to quit successfully is being determined to leave cigarette. Keep this motivation going. This motivation will help you quit better than any medications.

Now, coming to your query, yes there are couple of drugs available. They do not help you quit smoking, but help you deal with withdrawal and or cigarette craving which you will have within few days after quitting. Drugs like buprenorphine and varenicllne are available for this purpose. Please note that these are drugs you will get only with a prescription from a doctor.

Alternatively instead of medications, nicotine supplement like nicotine gums are available much easily and are equally good to deal with the cravings. They are available both as 4mg and 8mg gums based on how many cigarette you used to smoke.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any more information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prasad