Suggest ways to quit smoking

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hi. I have developed a habit of smoking. I want to give up this habit but I'm not able to control myself. How do I overcome this?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can seek help of psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Alike other kinds of addiction tobacco addiction have strong repercussions in life and can be challenging task to remove it from your daily life.

In process of quitting tobacco the most important thing is to have self confidence. There is need to build the confidence that you can do it irrespective of hurdles which you may face.

The second most important thing in this process is having adequate motivation. I want to do it.

Third important thing is conductive atmosphere. In case you live in society (group) where tobacco is XXXXXXX rather than exception it becomes more difficult to stop tobacco smoking.

The fourth important point is medical assistance. If you get any withdrawal symptoms seeking a help of psychiatrist is warranted.

In respect to all four pillars of de-addiction I think a psychiatrist can provide/develop all these elements in right manner. You can visit a psychiatrist to streamline your efforts.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 10 hours later
It's not like I'm a chain smoker. I smoke one cig a day but what disturbs me is that I'm a musician & it may effect my music. I'm confused.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need only determination

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Single cigarette a day is only abuse and it can not be called as habit or addiction. I think you just need to have will power and determination to do so.

It is right that smoking affects your vocal cords and it can definitely impair your performance over time. At the same time there is chance of addiction in long run which may affect your musical performance as well as health.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.