Suggest ways to quit smoking
my e-mail may not be working. my home phone is XXXX thank you!
I can understand that you may be worried that your genetics are just like your mom's since you look like her. But even if you look like her, you do have the genetics of both your mom and dad.
I am concerned though that you are a smoker with respiratory problems. I don't know the rest of your health history, but tobacco is an enormous health risk for pretty much every kind of cancer, COPD, increased risk of infections and poor healing. I know that it is very hard to quit. I've had patients who told me it was easier to get off heroin. But it is possible. If a person smokes more than 1 pack per day, I recommend a tapering system of nicotine patches. But that only helps with nicotine withdrawal. It doesn't help with the cravings, which can be fierce, and with the blue feeling from giving up cigarettes. For that I recommend Zyban (Bupropion), an antidepressant that is especially good for dealing with cravings, and doesn't cause weight gain. I also recommend participating in a group - for support, and also for ideas for being prepared to replace cigarettes with other things and other situations.
This might not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it is the number one most important thing for anyone to do if they are a smoker and want to live a healthy long life.
Can I help further?
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to quit smoking is there any way
- I want to quit smoking kindly suggest
- Suggest tips to quit smoking
- Suggest a suitable way to quit smoking
- What is the best way to quit smoking permanently
- What is the fastest way to quit smoking
- Suggest ways to quit smoking
- Any suggestions to help quit smoking
- Ways to help quit smoking poppers
- Easiest way to quit smoking weed
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis