Suggest ways to prevent dental plaques

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Sat, 16 Jan 2016 in Dental Health
Question: What is the best way to prevent plaque on the teeth and to remove excess plaque from the teeth. Is the consumer brand Plax good for that? Are there any particular foods that help plaque develop more? I am a vegetarian, and I know sugar is not the best for teeth, but are there any foods in particular that help plaque develop?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
multi factorial causes, brushing habits, plax

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the plaque formation over the teeth is concerned, following are the causes,
1. improper brushing habits
2. Consumption of sticky food like chocolates, and sweets before going to bed.
3. Any rough surface over the teeth or deep grooves on the chewing surface.
4. Reduced salivary secretion may result in impaired cleansing activity.
These causes favors formation of the plaque over the teeth. Since you are diabetic the bacterial flora makes your oral cavity prone for plaque formation.
Nothing to be panic, consult a good oral physician and get it evaluated. You can get an oral prophylaxis done and there on maintain the oral hygiene.
The Plax mouth wash may help you to maintain the oral hygiene, but long term use of it may result in staining of the teeth.
The better way to prevent plaque formation is to rinse your mouth soon after eating, brushing morning and night. Avoid sticky food particularly before going to bed, since the salivary secretion will be less during sleep impairing cleansing activity.
I hope i have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T