• question-icon

    Suggest ways to permanently remove facial hair

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: is there any help for permanent removal of facial hair on upper lip and chin? Nothing so far has helped except a razor once or twice a day.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Have you tried electrolysis or laser hair treatment? Laser treatment is quicker and can be more effective, but is pricier.

If you have not tried either of these, or you want to know more about these, let me know and I'll write further. If you have tried both of these and been unsuccessful, please let me know that too.

Also, have you had problems with facial hair all your adult life, or only since menopause?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 hours later
Yes, I've tried both. I am blond but the hair is thick and black or grey. It started during menopause. I have not had a period in over ten years. And I do go for my annual check ups. I have not done hormone therapy due to the risk of cancer. is there any other hope?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
I'll just add that Eflornithine cream, which can slow hair growth is sometimes used to help the laser treatment be more effective. But you may have already gone down that road.

Many post menopausal women do resort to shaving, but needing to shave twice a day indicates to me that your problem may be greater than what the average woman experiences.

I recommend that you talk with your doctor to do an evaluation for excessive facial hair growth. Some medications can increase the risk of hirsutism but I see that you are not on any meds. So if you have not had your blood sugar checked with an A1C (to see the average levels), and a thyroid hormone/TSH checked, I would start there. Thyroid abnormalities can cause hirsutism as can insulin resistance. Your doctor may also want to check adrenal (cortisol) and pituitary function with various blood tests; also levels of androgens (male hormones). If hormonally related blood tests are abnormal, your doctor may next want to do imaging studies.

So, at this point, I think it would be reasonable to look into the possible causes of what is going on.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3138 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Insulin resistance

doctor1 MD

43yo white female, dx: hashimotos thyroiditis, PCOD, anxiety,depression,panic attacks, agoraphobia,vitamin deficiencies ,high cholesterol, and...

doctor1 MD

hi, i had insulin resistance but through diet and exercise have taken 20cm off my belly and no longer have it. i have a full medical every year and...

doctor1 MD

hello. i am a 24 yr old female. i have asthma. For the past 6 years i experiance bouts of extreme fatigue, swollen chin and auxillary nodes,...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am taking Duromine 40mg, and my urine is quite dark and odorous all day. I am drinking about 2 litres of water per day. I am not diabetic,...

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr. Ditah, THANK YOU for asking me how I am doing, as I do have several follow questions for you Here goes: 1. I have believed for some time...

doctor1 MD

she is 3.4 years as of now, she developed some power in left eye. thus we had doubt if she develop Type 2 diabetes , when checked today post lunch...

doctor1 MD

hi I'm a 23 yr old female being treated for pcos . I'm taking prescribed metformin (2000mg/day) I'm currently trying to get pregnant and was...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain

  • Q - What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose

  • Q - What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?

  • Q - What causes pain near the navel area?

  • Q - What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle

  • Q - Suggest medication for ADHD

  • Q - Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis