Suggest ways to overcome addiction to pornography

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Dear Doctor,

I feel I'm addicted to Pornography or Masturbation. How I can re-leave from it. It is effecting my personal life with my wife. Requesting you assistance and guidance.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This may be a form of obsessive-compulsive behavior.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry to hear that your life is being upset by this. Your problem is not uncommon.

Feeling like you are doing a behavior excessively to the point that it is interfering with other parts of your life may be a type of obsessive-compulsive behavior.

Counseling/talk therapy can help, along with behavior modification plans, but you may need medication to help with excessive or unwanted thoughts about masturbating. Some of the SSRI antidepressants have been used with success for OCD. Usually a higher dose is required for OCD than depression, and these meds are best started at a lower dose, so it may take awhile for you to feel more in control - a few weeks.

So I would suggest making an appointment with a psychiatrist for evaluation and likely a medication. And if you can find a counselor that deals with addictions, that would be good too.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 days later
Dear Doctor,

Many thanks for your prompt response and hopeful advise.

I just want to clarify on the treatment. Is it possible to take out the treatment with online advise from HealthcareMagic? Also as mentioned, counseling and psychiatric treatments are available with HealthcareMagic?

Please advise.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sorry, you will have to find psychiatrist and counselor local to you.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

I am sorry, we provide information, make recommendations and advise, but we don't provide regular counseling or medications. If possible, please find a psychiatrist and counselor near you, who will see you in person. When seeking a counselor to make an appointment with, you can tell them that you have an unwanted compulsive/addictive behavior and see if that counselor has experience with that.