Suggest ways to manage tinnitus caused by a nerve issue

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was recently diagnosed with tinnitus. Audiologist says won't get better & is a nerve issue. It's getting very loud, I don't want to wear a hearing aid as I can hear, just don't want to hear the high-pitched buzzing. Is there any improvements/cures out there?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are various medicines which can alleviate the tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Tinnitus is a non-auditory, internal sound, secondary to various issues in the head and neck region. In your case, it seems to be neurological related to the auditory nerves. To explain it in simple words; there is always some noise emitted by the brain which is masked because of the external sounds. Due to certain reasons, there is damage to the sensitive inner ear nerves at certain frequencies. This cuts off the external noise, thus making the inner sounds emitted from the brain more audible.

Using the hearing aid will actually augment the hearing, thus, masking the inner sounds and the tinnitus. If you are not comfortable wearing the hearing aid you can try any of the following, but, the results vary from person to person.
1. Oral Meclizine
2. Oral Caroverine
3. Oral Gingkobiloba - a Chinese herb
4. Tinnitus maskers
5. Using a old clock in the night which makes a tic toc noise. Or light music can be played which can mask the tinnitus.
6. Low dose lasers have been tried with varying success.

I would suggest you to consult an apt ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your query; I’ll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad