Suggest ways to manage sudden bouts of anger

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I have sudden feelings of anger sweep over me and then passes suddenly
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Deep breathing techniques would help in controlling your anger episodes

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and understand your concern about your sudden episodes of anger. I would like to know some more details about the timing of your anger and whether it is situational based or stress based? Any associated symptoms like palpitations etc. Any thoughts to hurt yourself or others and any history of destructing things to get rid of your anger?
I would also like to know how is your sleep? Any other stressors? or any strained relationship with your family members?
So it would be helpful for me to advise, if you can provide all these details.
I can advise you to follow deep breathing techniques that is during inspiration, inspire air slowly with your nose, hold for some brief seconds for about 5 sec and then expire with your mouth slowly
You can practice these breathing techniques daily for 30 min and also try to follow during episodes of anger to get rid of it.
Hope this information would help you.
Please provide all the above details to get clear idea.
Feel free to ask further questions if any.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana