Suggest ways to manage severe pain

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I am a chronic pain patient under medical care. I am a 37 yo female. I have been going up and down in strength on pain meds. I have been told by my parents whom I live with I make loud noises at night, though I am not aware of it. It does not occur nightly but is becoming a problem. I am going to undergo a home sleep study to see if I'm reaching the proper sleep cycles, however I'm not sure if it's opioid related or something else. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Opioids have tendency to cause snoring

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

It is rightly possible that your pain medicine leading to development of snoring. Because the medicine suppress the central nervous system and cause relaxation of muscles related to upper respiratory tract the snoring develops in particular obese individuals.

In my opinion sleep study is definitely necessary but at the same time work on the weight issue if you fall under category of overweight or obese individuals.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks an regards.