Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

163 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest ways to manage pain while undergoing radiation for prostate cancer

Answered by
Dr. Ilir Sharka


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 6653 Questions

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: my father has afib and is currently taking Eliquis. He has two nephrostomy tubes and his urologist has said his bladder has basically shut down because of scar tissue from seed radiation for prostate cancer 15 years ago. He has done an exam to determine that there is no bladder cancer and nothing that should be causing pain. he has been in a lot of pain that Tylenol 3 hasn't seemed to help with. the doctor in his rehab center has gotten an ekg to determine whether she should give him methadone for this pain. what else could be causing it and what steps should I take to help remedy the situation?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that the pain could be caused by different causes:

- metastatic lesions from the prostate cancer
- radiation induced neuropathy.

As he has not urinary bleeding, this indicates that eliquis is not the cause of his pain.

I would recommend performing an abdominal CT scan with contrast or a MRI of this region to exclude possible metastatic lesions that could cause the pain.

If it results normal, I would recommend starting gapapentine or pregabaline for the pain. These drugs are very helpful against chronic neuropathic pain, which is a usual complication of radiation.

You should discuss with his doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.