Suggest ways to manage hypertension in an elderly person

Dr. Rajesh Teli

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, The query is for my Grandmother who is 79 yrs old. she had high BP roughly 2 week back. It was 210/100 mm Hg. The doctor gave her 1 tablet of Amlong 5mg. After few min, BP came to normal range. Doctor also did ECG, which came normal.
Doctor advised to monitor her blood pressure regularly. Since last 1-week, I am monitoring her BP & it is coming more than 150/80 mm HG everytime (~155/83 mm Hg).

Will you advise any medicine for her and for how long ?
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue Amlong is the same dose

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.I have gone through your query.
Thanks for using HCM.
your Grand mother has hypertension .After age of 60 blood pressure must remian below 150/90.so at the level of 210/100 she definitely needs medication.Amlong is proper for her.Ideally she must continue medication for rest of her life.However she must reduce salt intake in her diet .you should monitor her BP frequently.May be once a week or so.if BP remains under 150/90,Then she must continue same dose for rest of her life.If BP is going below 110/70 then you may reduce the dose to 2.5 mg once a day.As part of check up please get her Lipid profile,Blood sugar and kidney functions checked.
My best wishes
Dr.Teli.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar