Suggest ways to manage constipation, nausea and lack of appetite post taking Co-codamol

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My mom was diagnosed with shingles 4 weeks ago and was prescribed co codamol 30/500mg for the pain. She has had side effects from them such as nausea,constipation,drowsiness and lack of appetite which was making her feel worse. She stopped taking them from yesterday and is now suffering with an upset stomach and bad nausea. Is this a withdrawal from them and is there anything we can get to help with this? She suffers with copd too.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

codamol, itself can lead to nausea. The medication should have been stopped gradually rather than abruptly as some degree of withdrawal does occur even with short duration course such as a week. Metoclopramide for the nausea can be advised along with PPIs like lansoprazole. Most likely these effects will subside in a few days. Keep her well hydrated by give isotonic preparations like ORS if she is having watery diarrhea.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil