• question-icon

    Suggest ways to manage alcohol addiction

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am attempting to provide a safe place for my adult son to tackle his alcohol addiction. He is seeing a Psychiatrist who is working with him but we are trying to find a primary care Dr.since he also has had 4 seizures. HE TAKES MIRTAZAPINE/Remeron FOR INSOMNIA AND SINCE LAST FRIDAY AN ER DR. PRESCRIBE ZONASIMIDE/Zonegran TO PREVENT SEIZURES. HOW CAN I FIND A DR. WHO WOULD BE SUPPORTIVE IN TREATING ALCOHOLISM? CAN THIS BE DONE AS OUTPATIENT SO HE CAN CONTINUE TO WORK?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Preferably get hospitalized

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Alcohol addiction is usually treated by psychiatrist or physician. The treatment requires constant follow up and in case of complete addiction hospitalization is required to avoid withdrawal symptoms and treat them accordingly.
Seizure may also be associated with alcohol intake.
Alcohol withdrawal is also associated with seizures.
Antiepileptics should be given.
Mri brain and eeg should be done.
Primary health care physician with MD Medicine degree can be contacted too.
It may be difficult to treat as opd consultation.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Neeraj Kumar


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2263 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Alcohol withdrawal

doctor1 MD

My son is 46, alcoholic, is now visibally shaking feels poor all over ?

doctor1 MD

Why do my lower jaw quiver

doctor1 MD

Hi, I was wondering what a better drug for me be for alcohol withdrawal . It's affecting my life in that when I don't have alcohol, try to go into...

doctor1 MD

I got drunk 3 days in a row. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Now it s 6PM Monday and I still feel awful, like I need to throw up and I m really spacy...

doctor1 MD

If someone, known to have been consuming alcohol, was brought into the ER in police custody for feeling dehydrated, and if whether or not they were...

doctor1 MD

hi im on day 4 of alcohol withdrawal and still don't feel right. im 62 years ld. female. a little high blood pressure.from drinking. I also take a...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am an 29 year Old Female Been drinking 4 a quite a while now since age 16 I never Had a Problem But Recently after A Good Nite Of Drinks The...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

146 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Neeraj Kumar
  • Q - What causes recurrent painful sensation over one side of lower face?

  • Q - What does my blood test report indicate?

  • Q - What causes constant dizziness?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for weight gain, coldness and constipation

  • Q - What causes facial pain and leg numbness in a patient with diabetes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurring optic neuritis in right eye

  • Q - What causes trouble thinking clearly while recovering form sepsis?

  • Q - How long should medication be continued after suffering partial paralysis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constant pain due to neuropathy

  • Q - What causes burning sensation in buttocks of a person with spinal problems?