Suggest ways to maintain healthy blood sugar levels
My self XXXX,i want t asked about my mother she is 50 year old and diabetic patient fom last 5 years,we take proper care of here ,she gone for walk,take medicines also but i am not able to uderstand whe she got diabetic as she had proper care never had lots of sweet ,what exactly was the reason and as daughter of her i have 1 question is there chance we also get diabetic as my mother is first person who is suffering from this
And i want to know what exactly she should not eat because her sugar level goes to 400 and she feel weakness and i don't want to loose her at any cost,kindly help plz as search lots of on internet but not exactly understand about diet and take proper care of her
I will share her reports too if required by tommorow
1.yes 2.Frequent low calorie, high fibre diet
I have gone through your questions and understand your concerns
1. One get Diabetes due to multiple factors- it could be inherited or from your lifestyle. If your mother is having diabetes you have around 30-40% chance of getting diabetes. Diet habits and exercise may delay development of diabetes but it need not always prevent it.
2. Diet in diabetes
The important thing in diabetes is you should avoid fasting or feasting. That means you should not eat less or more. Ideal thing is to have frequent low calorie diet with excess fibres. She should have 3 major meals and 4 snacks. The major meals should be mixed diet - like salads+ 1 cup rise+ vegetable curry+ fish for lunch. The snacks can be sugar free biscuits, egg whites, sandwiches, apple, orange etc.
Avoid white sugars, sweets, tubers, fast foods
Most important thing is she should take food at the correct time.
You can consult a local dietician who can help you with a diet chart suitable for her diet habits.
Please let me know her medication history and lab reports
Hope I've answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you
Dr Ajish TP
I have qus: We are 3 siblings that means we all suffer from dibetes becuse my mother suffering from same
2: As we confirmed to doctor as per him she should avoid rice but as per your advice she can have
3: Plz confirm at what time she should have her dinner
4: plz confirm she has chappati (wheat flour) everyday is this effect her to high sugar level
30-40 % chance of developing diabetes
Really appreciate your concerns on the health of your mother and family. Hope the following answers will help.
1. If your parent is having diabetes you have around 30-40 % chance of developing diabetes. That applies to your siblings also. It's not like you will develop diabetes - but you are at increased risk. So have a yearly check up of blood glucose
2. No diet is completely forbidden in diabetes. Only thing the quantity has to be adjusted as per the sugar content in the diet. She can have a cup of rice for lunch if she prefers so.
3. It depends on how she prefers it. If she prefer an early dinner like at 7 pm - she should have a snack at bed time by 10 pm. If she prefers having it late she can have it by 9-10pm. I prefer dinner at 7 pm and snack at 10 pm in my patients
4. Chappathies if taken in moderation- like 2 numbers won't increase sugars much. Mostly it is the curry along with it that increase sugars. Add salads before meal.
Hope I have answered your questions
Dr Ajish TP
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Healthy blood pressure levels
- What is a healthy blood sugar level for a 25 year old woman
- A healthy way for healthy glucose levels nutrilite glucose health
- High random blood sugar level suggestive of diabetes
- Blood sugar limits for healthy persons
- What is the healthy blood sugar level for a 16 year old
- Suggest a quick and healthy way to lose weight
- What is the normal blood sugar level for a healthy person
- Need suggestions on losing weight in a healthy way
- Suggest some medicine to maintain hemoglobin level