Suggest ways to lower high BP levels

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I have high blood pressure and last few days it was sometimes over 200/100. I am taking lisinopril and metoprolol, I am 76 years old female.
They seem not to help at all.
Last month it was discovered that my left kidney is not working, the stent was inserted and there is plan to remove this kidney.
I am desperate to lower the blood pressure, could not working kidney be a cause that the medicine does not bring relief?
Thank you,
Irene
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestion

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam. You seem to be suffering from renal artery stenosis. I sincerely believe one needs to understand the disease process to understand the options.
Renal artery stenosis is a narrowing of arteries that carry blood to one or both of the kidneys. It affects older people, especially women with atherosclerosis.
It worsens over time and often leads to high blood pressure and kidney damage. The sensors in the body sense less blood reaching the kidneys and assume that the body faces low blood pressure. Thereafter there is the release of hormones from the kidney that cause an increase in blood pressure.
Renal artery stenosis usually does not cause any specific symptoms. Often, the patient of renal artery stenosis has high blood pressure that is extremely hard to control.
The condition may require many different groupe of medicines to control high blood pressure. Patients may also be asked to take other medications, such as cholesterol-lowering drugs and aspirin.
Some medications commonly used to treat high blood pressure associated with renal artery stenosis include:
Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs)- you are on lisinopril.
Beta blockers and alpha-beta blockers-you are on metoprolol.
Diuretics and Calcium channel blockers can be added by your nephrologist.
Intervention such as stenting may be recommended.

To answer your question directly, yes the affected kidney and the stenosis can cause the BP to rise. I have suggested 2 added groups of medicines that your nephrologist may consider.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible. feel free to contact us for more information.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor Mittal for the explanation and an advice
Have a wonderful New Year
Irene
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you a wonderful new year too and a speedy recovery.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D