Suggest ways to lose weight

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I work out everyday doing cardio and I lift weights every other day. I am training for a marathon so I also run every other day. I am maybe 40-50 pounds over weight and thought for sure all of this would help me loose weight but I haven'e lost a pound and even creep up a couple of ounces a day. I don't eat dairy, sugar, carbs, or any processed foods. Is there something I should be looking at or doing different?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
check for hormonal disorders and count caloric intake

Detailed Answer:

when somebody has a hard time trying to loose weight despite doing the right things, the thyroid has to be checked before anything else. Measuring the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is enough to find out.
Another thing to check is your caloric intake. Although you said that you have a healthy diet, getting to the details may help to find out what's wrong. The best thing to do is to ask a dietitian to guide you through this. Counting the calories can be tricky if you're not familiar with it. The main idea is to check the calories for every food you consume. If it's sold in supermarkets then the calories should be written on the package, so it would be very easy. If it's not packaged (raw meat, vegetables, etc) you can use a credible source to find how many calories this food contains. A helpful web source would be https://www.choosemyplate.gov/

Make sure that you don't consume (at least not in high quantities) "energy drinks", alcohol, food with high fat content like pies, cheese, various sauces, butter, etc. Keep on working out (particularly prefer aerobic exercises) and if you've done all the above you should loose weight soon.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!