Suggest ways to lose weight while having fatty liver disease

Excellent

Question
I was told I have fatty liver, by my doctor, later I had another blood test he said it was better. I believe I eat healthy foods and find hard to loose weight. I had a hysterectomy 25 years ago, since hard to lose weight. I rarely drink beer or wine etc. I drink almond milk coconut milk. Eat small amounts sugar. What type of test do you recommend to find where I'm at with fatty Liver????????? How to loose weight Maybe 40 lbs. ?????? Thank you for advice. XXXXXXX XXXX
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

If your liver enzymes remain elevated, the next test would be an abdominal ultrasound of the liver. For this test, a radiology technician presses a special device against your skin at different angles in the area of your liver and gets pictures of it, which the radiologist will then evaluate. If there is fatty liver disease (non-alcoholic steatosis), the fat that has replaced normal liver cells will show up.

There are 2 types of fatty liver disease. One is caused by alcohol consumption. The other type can be caused by excess weight, particularly due to carbohydrates, and in some cases diabetes, medications, and genetic predisposition.

The main problem with fatty liver is that it can lead to scarring (cirrhosis).

Weight loss can greatly help. Avoidance of simple carbohydrates is important. But yo-yo ing with losing and gaining weight cycles can increase the risk of inflammation and scarring. So slow steady weight loss is important.

Increasing vegetables in the diet, in addition to being healthy, can help fill a person up so there isn't as much appetite for other things that should be avoided such as simple carbohydrates. The latter include pasta, breads, crackers, pastry and other bakery foods which are turned into sugars easily and quickly.

Exercise, while it may not help with weight loss directly, improves glucose usage.

Start with a small goal of losing 3-5 lbs in a month.

If you need help with dietary plans, you might want to visit a dietician that is associated with a nearby hospital or with your doctor's group. But in general, gradually increase vegetables and decrease carbohydrates. Do this gradually.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.