• question-icon

    Suggest ways to lose weight around the stomach

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi Doctor,
Im getting tummy Off late, due to which i m feeling uncomfortable.
I work for a software company where I spend 8-9 hours sitting at one place
Physical movement is less.
And at my home, they prepare RICE dishes more. So in my diet I eat RICE twice or thrice a day.

Please suggest to overcome this.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start exercise and changes to your diet...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Sedentary lifestyle with no exercise and carb rich diet with extracalories will lead to increase in weight as well as abdominal girth. There is no easy / quick fix method to resolve this issue.

May I know your current weight as well as height. If your BMI is in excess of the standard reference (between 18 to 25) then it needs to be addressed along with abdominal girth.

In this context, I will encourage you to start excercise. First cardioexercise like jogging, brisk walking, cycling, thread mill or swimming. Followed by muscle toning / muscle building exercise. It should be coupled with changes to your diet - reducing oils, reducing rice preparation supplementing with fruits, vegetables and high protein diet. If needed, you may ask dietician on this forum for a personalied diet plan.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later
My age is 28, height 5.7 And weight is 73 kgs
Answered by Dr. Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just above standard recommendations...

Detailed Answer:

Ideally I would want your weight to be around 64-65kg. However normal standard requires your weight to be under 72 kg. It means with this weight, you are just about entering over weight category. My above suggestions hold good. Start exercise at the earliest. Talk to the dietician either by posting another query in the morning tomorrow or talk to them if you are allowed to from your dashboard.

Hope this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Prasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3376 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

164 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Prasad
  • Q - Random body aches. Is this the symptoms of flu?

  • Q - What is the difference between functional dyspepsia and appendicitis?

  • Q - Having spondylisthesis, DDD, facet artropathy, bulging discs. Taking...

  • Q - Addicted to tobacco. Tried nicotex chewing gum. Unable to open mouth and...

  • Q - Is amitriptyline safe medicine for polymyalgia? What are the affect of...

  • Q - Recommended amino acids and proteins after workout. How much protein...

  • Q - Diabetic. Have hepatic encephalopathy. Treated with lactulose. Should I...

  • Q - Looking best medicine for urinary tract infection

  • Q - Had shoulder injury. Hurts to lift arm and having burning sensation on...

  • Q - Bruise appeared on thigh after scratching. Hurts to touch. Why is this...