Suggest ways to loose weight in an obese teenager

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
I have a question regarding my daughter. She is 19 years old. Her weight is around 75kgs. Last year, she joined yoga classes and lose 10 kgs weight in 3 months. After that she stopped going for the yoga and took some weight control supplements of Herbalife for approx two months which resulted in acne on her face. So, she stopped taking those supplements.

Now, she again has joined her yoga classes since three months back and is dieting also. Has stopped eating wheat and rice at all. She is having milk, fruit, and sprouts and sometimes Poha/Idli only. However, in spite of all this she is not losing weight. Her Gym instruction has advised her to get harmonal tests done.

I would request you to please advise me what tests should I get done for her and from which Lab as well. I am staying in XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs a thyroid test

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
First of all you need t know if her weight is normal for her height. Use this scale for determining BMI to assess that.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi-m.htm

If she is in a normal BMI then please discourage her from trying to lose weight.
If she is overweight then the first test she would need would be a thyroid hormone test. It would also be good for her to get a CMP and CBC blood test as well.
If her periods are normal then she probably does not need other hormone testing done.
It may help her to consult a dietitian to help with her diet plan.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 25 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for the quick answer.
It seems v r sitting together.

My daughter BMI is 29.7. Her periods are regular but usually comes 7-8 days early.

Any suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mainly what I suggested above

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for the follow up
She does need to get the BMI down below 25. I think the thyroid test is first.
If she is exercising (aerobic exercise plus yoga) and is on a fairly low calorie diet and still cannot lose weight then she may need to have an evaluation for polycystic ovary syndrome.
In this condition patients usually have more irregular periods but they become insulin resistant so checking a fasting sugar, lipids and a Hemoglobin A1c would be good. She may also need an ultrasound of the ovaries if this is suspected.
Work with her doctors and a dietitian to sort this out
Good luck and thanks for using HCM
Dr. Robinson