Suggest ways to keep BP and cholesterol under check

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Am 50 years old women weighing 90 kg, mensuration cycle stopped by 40th age.
Currently suffering from BP, sugar & Cholestrol already under meducation.
Suggest a health guidance to keep me fit.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
POSITIVE LIFESTYLE MODIFICATION A MUST IN YOU.

Detailed Answer:
HI THANKS FOR POSTING YOUR QUERY ON HEALTH CARE MAGIC.THIS IS DR XXXXXXX WITH YOU,ATTENDING YOUR HEALTH QUERY.
AR PER YOUR CLINICAL HISTORY,MADAM I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU THAT ,POST MENOPAUSAL WOMEN (THOSE WHO COMPLETED THEIR MENSTRUAL CYCLES) ARE MORE PRONE TO GET AFFECTED BY CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES DUE TO LACK OF ESTROGEN.THEY ARE ALSO MORE LIKELY TO SUFFER FROM THE LOSS OF BONE MINERAL DENSITY LEADING TO OSTEOPOROTIC BONES AND FRAGILE FRACTURES.YOU HAVE REACHED MENOPAUSE AT AN APPROPRIATE AGE.BUT YOUR WEIGHT IS SEEMS TO BE TOO HIGH FOR YOUR AGE.YOU SEEM TO HAVE WHAT IS CALLED "METABOLIC SYNDROME X"-WHICH IS A TRIAD OF OVER WEIGHT(HIGH BLOOD LIPID LEVELS),HIGH BLOOD SUGAR (DIABETES),HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE(HYPERTENSION).SUCH TRIAD CAN PREDISPOSE A PERSON TO HEART ATTACKS AND STROKE EPISODES.I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU TO SHED YOUR WEIGHT,KEEP IT TO AROUND 60 KGS. GET YOURSELF A LIPID PROFILE,SERUM Hs-CRP(PREDICTS FUTURE CARDIVASCULAR RISK),a 2-DIMENSIONAL SCREENING ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY,AN ECG,FASTING AND POST PRANDIAL BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS,SERUM HB1AC(INDICATES AVG/BLOOD GLUCOSE CONTROL OVER PRECEDING 3 MONTHS),A BONE MINERAL DENSITY SCAN-BMD ,ALL ON ANNUAL BASIS TO HELP YOU TO DETECT CARDIAC ISSUES AT THE EARLIEST.DRUGS LIKE RALOXIFENE AND STRONTIUM RANELATE TAKEN UNDER YOUR FAMILY DOCTOR'S PRESCRIPTION CAN HELP YOU TO PREVENT AGE RELATED FRACTURES AND BUILD STRONG BONES.AND DRUGS LIKE STATINS AND FIBRATES HELP YOU TO LOOSE WEIGHT,REDUCING THE BAD CHOLESTEROL.CUT DOWN FAT INTAKE TO 20% OF YOUR DIETARY REQUIREMENTS,HAVE REGULAR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY LIKE BRISK WALKING.MAINTAIN YOUR BODY MASS INDEX-B.M.I AT LESS THAN 23.LEAD A STRESS FREE LIFE.
I WISH AND HOPE THAT MY FEEDBACK TO YOUR QUERY IS QUITE USEFUL AND CONVINCING.
PLEASE FEEL RIGHTFUL TO POST YOUR FURTHER QUERIES, I FEEL HUMBLE TO ANSWER AND CLARIFY THEM.
THANK YOU.
WISH YOU A GOOD HEALTH.
DR XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj