Suggest ways to increase sodium levels in body

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Question: Ihave stage4 endometrial cancer and needed a stent in urethra replacement . Ive bee crazy weak since returning from germany which i wasnt there. T anasthesiologist caught in my bloodwork very loowlevels of sodium. What can I do to correct? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Restrict water intake

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

I do not have your sodium levels but normally low sodium levels means below 135 mmol/L or mEq/L.
It is most commonly due to water imbalance.

You are going to find symptoms like nausea, headache, lethargy and disorientation. If the sodium level is lower since longer time, your body specifically the brain would have adjusted and you might not have these symptoms.

Treatment involves:
1. Reduced hypotonic fluid intake or free water intake. Take fluid as required. Do not take it excessively. This will work normally. Restrict free water or any low sodium fluid intake to less than 1-1.5 liters. Avoid alcohol
2. Hypertonic saline infusion, if symptoms become severe or vasopressin antagonists.

If you attach the reports and any medications, I will able to advise you more.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari