Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

156 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest ways to increase sodium levels in body

Answered by
Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 849 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Question: Ihave stage4 endometrial cancer and needed a stent in urethra replacement . Ive bee crazy weak since returning from germany which i wasnt there. T anasthesiologist caught in my bloodwork very loowlevels of sodium. What can I do to correct? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Restrict water intake

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

I do not have your sodium levels but normally low sodium levels means below 135 mmol/L or mEq/L.
It is most commonly due to water imbalance.

You are going to find symptoms like nausea, headache, lethargy and disorientation. If the sodium level is lower since longer time, your body specifically the brain would have adjusted and you might not have these symptoms.

Treatment involves:
1. Reduced hypotonic fluid intake or free water intake. Take fluid as required. Do not take it excessively. This will work normally. Restrict free water or any low sodium fluid intake to less than 1-1.5 liters. Avoid alcohol
2. Hypertonic saline infusion, if symptoms become severe or vasopressin antagonists.

If you attach the reports and any medications, I will able to advise you more.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Endometrial cancer

doctor1 MD

I have been gaining more weight in my stomach especially but since I have gone through menopause (58 years old). I worry about my bloated stomach, and why I am tired when I walk upstairs. I wake up every night two or three times to urinate and have to drink water at night too. I have already had a colonoscopy last January 2010 that showed early signs of cancer, but I don t have health insurance to have annual procedure done. I like my heart is overworked and have pain, shortness of breath when I go upstairs (something I didn t have before). I have had TIA in 2004 but no significant issues since (been to ER a few times after for similar symptoms but not TIA). My mom was diagnosed with endometrial cancer when she was in her 50 s and spread to her pancreas years later. My father died of heart attack at 38. I feel like my stomache is like a balloon just expanding and expanding to accomodate the organs inside. I am worried. What should I do?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I’m a difficult case. I’m 53, unsure about menopause because I was bleeding daily for a few months. My regular gynecologist could not do a pap smear on me because he could not get to my cervix . I’m told I have a long cervix. He sent me to see...

doctor1 MD

53 years old, no period for 3 1/2 years, last pap in 8/2016 was okay, history of uterine fibroids. Wiped self earlier and had ever so light pink on the toilet paper. Should I worry?

doctor1 MD


I received my Ultrasound results in the mail and my doctor apt is tomorrow. I am sure I will hear what everything means tomorrow however wondering if you can help me tonight. I have a 21x19x18mm moderately complex left ovarian cyst. A small amount of fluid in the cud-de-sac and left adnexa. Prominent endometrial stripe thickness of 15mm. In the left anterior aspect of the lower uterine segment is 44x44x58mm. Are these things to be concern with?

Thank you so much!

doctor1 MD

Hi i am 45 years old . Have severe pain in lower back and at the pelvic area during my periods. Also have heavy bleeding. What care do i take to reduce the pain and the bleeding

doctor1 MD

I am 47 and have had a history of uterine polyps which were removed in 2008. I am currently having a bladder issue. (since June). I have been on 3 antibiotics, 4 trips to and 2 trips to urologist. Uro said he thought OAB but I dont have troubles holding in it, its the pressure and pain. Have had an ultrasound of bladder, uterus and ovaries which came back fine. Still having cramping pain in my lower abdomen and spotting brown blood when I wipe and what feels like menstrual cramps.

doctor1 MD

I am on a progestin therapy (progesterone) and have been since 2009. I take 400 mg of progesterone daily to keep from having complex hyperplasia Grade 1a Endometrial Cancer. I am 53 years old. Is there a great long term risk for taking this medication to my health? I was told I would have to take this for the rest of my life or have a hysterectomy.