Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Suggest ways to increase my height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 589 Questions
i am 24 yrs now. my height is like 5 feet 2 inch and half. my mum is shorter then me and my dad is 5,5. please is it possible to increase my height 2,3 inch and is there is any thing. i m so frustrated with my life because of my height. and my girlfriend is 5,5. is there is any solution. thanks.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I am sorry for your problem. I can understand your concern. First of all, I want to reassure that your height is good enough not very short compared to other people on an average.

The ultimate height of a person is usually genetically determined. A person, after the fusion of his growth plates in long bones (epiphysis) stops growing in height naturally. This most commonly occurs during the age of 16-20 yrs in males.

Regarding your query, there are few surgeries which apply the famous Ilizarov's technique to help in increasing height after the fusion of epiphysis of long bones. However, these procedures are complicated as well as require a lot of cooperation from patient and doctor side. The reason for this is the patient needs about 12 months of bed rest along with measures to control pain which is little difficult. By these kind of procedures about 6-8 cm of increase in height is possible. Morevoer, there will be only few medical centers which perform these kind of procedures.

Hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further queries!

Dr Vasanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor