Suggest ways to heal the body and regain energy after an abortion
I am a 34 year old female and have had 2 miscarriages in a row. The first one resulted in bleeding at 6week resulting in miscarriage. It was cleaned up naturally through tablets. The second one went upto 10th week of pregnancy and resulted in a missed abortion with stopping of heartbeat of the foetus.
I am not suffering from Thyroid, BP, Diabetes etc so far and all my regular blood tests (including HIV, Rubella etc) came out normal.
After my second miscarriage which took place about 6 weeks back, my gynae sent my foetus sample for Karyotyping and TB Culture Smear tests and the results have come back to be normal.
Therefore the reason for my miscarriage has now become UNKNOWN.
It is very frustrating to not know what could be the root cause as it wont help me to be cautious next time. In general I have an average health with quite a sedentary lifestyle (IT professional).
The only constant problem i have is WHEEZING and I am quite allergic to dust, cold food items etc.
1) Firstly, please suggest me the effective ways to totally heal my body and regain energy and strength as I feel very tired and having bodyache after miscarriage.
2) What other basic tests should I and my husband take?
3) Is it advisable to try again after 3 months esp after having 2 recent miscarriages in a span of 6 months only?
4) What impact can Wheezing/Bronchitis have over my pregnancy and what precaution should i take?
5)My age certainly has a role to play however there is no way to rectify it. Any special suggestions/precautions for a 34 year old female trying to conceive?
6) Will I need complete bed-rest for my third attempt at pregnancy?
7) Lastly, I have had a heated argument leading to shouting in anger a day before my miscarriage. Could that have caused this?
Thanks a lot once again in advance for your answers.
Do not worry
Welcome to HCM,
Really sorry to know that you have had 2 miscarriages in less than 6 months, it must very disheartening to go through.
But, I want to tell you that it is quite common infact 1 in 6 pregnancies of perfectly normal people miscarry, and there is a 15% chance of this reoccurring the next time.
I also want to decrease your anxiety, that, when a women has 3 consecutive miscarriages and on investigation of them no cause is found, she has a 75% chances of having a full term normal pregnancy the next time. You have had 2 miscarriages and the cause is unknown that means you have a greater than 3 in 4 chances of having a normal pregnancy the next time.
So, the most important thing for you is to have a very positive outlook as you approach your next pregnancy.
I will answer your questions one by one.
1. The body aches and general well being can be improved with a healthy diet, moderate exercise and multivitamin supplement, containing folic acid, as you are trying to conceive again soon.
2. Get your thyroid levels done if you have not done them in last 6 months.
3. You can try for pregnancy as soon as you and your partner are ready for the pregnancy. if you are not anemic and are mentally prepared you can try to conceive right away.
4. Wheezing and bronchitis can persist in pregnancy and if you are taking medications for the same you should continue it as you do not want the wheezing to get worse during pregnancy. Also you are more prone to respiratory tract infections in pregnancy and you should see a doctor and take antibiotic immediately if you fall ill during pregnancy. Some women hesitate to take medication in pregnancy thinking it may harm the fetus, but not taking medications for wheezing and infection is more harmful to the child and the mother.
5. Age of 34, is still ok, its after 37 years that the ovarian function starts to decline rapidly. Though with increasing age miscarriages get more common but there is no way to reverse that.
6. No, complete bed rest is never recommended unless the cervix has opened.
7. Anger and extreme emotion are not directly related to the loss.
Hope this helps and all the best for your pregnancy.
1. Could you share in simple terms, what is this BOH profile test all about?
2. Also as I read over internet, such advanced tests are suggested only after recurrent miscarriages (3 or more). I rather felt like giving another attempt without undergoing this test, it is a wise thing to do or should I just follow the advice of my gynae?
3. My Gynae had put me on Duphaston tablet alongwith Folic acid supplements and weekly Corion injection shots during my last pregnancy. Though I read a lot about multi-vitamin supplements but she didn’t prescribe me that. Are such multi-vitamin tablets to be taken only with prescription?
4. In general it is quite confusing upto what extent of activities one can perform during pregnancy? People suggest not bending too much, lifting objects, taking stairs, sleep in certain position etc. Is that all myth or these are good preventive measures for safe pregnancy?
5. The internet again is flooded with loads of tips/suggestions about pregnancy. I wish to take all measures possible for a health child. Could you give some fundamental steps/points to be considered/strictly followed before my next attempt at pregnancy?
6. Though I have an urge to have a baby of my own considering my age and need but in general I don’t find it much interesting to spend time with other people’s baby. Is it normal to feel so or it is a sign of unpreparedness?
7. Similarly, though bed-rest is not required yet I plan to quit job as my husband stays in different city. I strongly feel the need for emotional & physical bonding with the presence of my husband right from day 1 of my pregnancy. I hope you will agree that this emotional-wellbeing is equally important for any would-be mother?
8. Lastly, I have attached most of my reports for your reference, please have a look and share your specific observations if any.
Thanks in advance.
Do not worry
1. Boh or bad obstetric history profile tests are a group of blood test which check if a person has any bleeding and clotting disorders, like SLE (Systemic lupus erythematosus) ; APLA syndome ; inherited clotting disorders like thrombophilia's which include factor 5 deficiency, protein S deficiency protein C deficiency. If one has these disorders then she can have repeated abortions. But we only check for them if a women has had 3 or more consecutive first trimester abortions or preterm birth before 34 weeks.
These women may also have family or personal history of clotting disorders, like Deep vein thrombosis.
You do not fall into this category at present, and we could wait for you to conceive and see how the pregnancy goes before doing these tests. If at all a women is diagnosed with these, the pregnancy is a very high risk pregnancy and she has to take injectible heparin from early pregnancy till birth and even after birth daily. She also has risk of hypertension and preterm birth inspite of taking the medications.
2. You could wait to get the tests done, as right now they are not indicated for you: and moreover you are just 6 weeks after your last abortion. These tests are best done at least 3 months after a delivery or miscarriage to get proper results as pregnancy hormones can alter some of its values and make interpreting the tests difficult.
3. Multivitamin can be taken over the counter and don't need a prescription, but apart from Folic acid no other vitamin supplement is actually required. So just continue taking Folic acid to prevent any brain or spine defects in baby. If you have a healthy diet no additional vitamin is recommended. And taking or not taking vitamins will not change the result of the pregnancy. Duphaston and Corion are hormone supplements and are given to support the pregnancy, but there is no substantial scientific evidence that they help. You could take any one of them in next pregnancy as well. Taking both is not required.
4.There are no scientifically proved manouvers or restrictions which will guarantee a successful pregnancy. Any activity a women is comfortable prior to pregnancy can be continued during pregnancy. Just hard core exercise and trauma to be avoided.
5. The only advise I would like to give you is, have an extremely positive outlook. I know as a well informed person you have lots of thoughts going on in your mind. But you have to be very very positive even before you conceive and not over analyse. Just enjoy the phase and be extremely calm, and positive.
6. When you see your baby, the feelings are completely different and the sense of satisfaction and love and pride is different. Do not worry, most women are not confident about how good mothers they are, but they change as soon as the responsibility of a young life falls on them. You will enjoy having a child especially after these trying days that you are going through.
7.Yes emotional wellbeing is very important, you can choose to do that.
8. i could not access any of your reports could you resend them.
Hope this decreases your anxiety to some extent.
I would advise you to take Folic acid 5 mg daily and try to conceive, God willing you should not have any problems with the next pregnancy.
I have uploaded my reports once again. Please have a look and advise. Do you have a email id that I can send the reports to?
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abortion pregnancy hormones leaving the body
- Increased body heat abortion
- What effects do abortion pills have on the body
- Body rash after an abortion
- After abortion my body is swallen
- Body aches after abortion
- Suggest safest way for abortion
- Body odor after abortion
- Body changes after abortion
- Does abortion damage the body