Suggest ways to get sound sleep

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Hi,
I do not get proper sleep,next day morning when I get up I do not feel fresh.Please suggest what should I do to have a sound sleep and feel fresh.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:

The reasons for not getting proper sleep has to be determined. It could be due to stress, medications, snoring problems and smoking or alcohol addictions.

Please provide me the following details to determine a cause:
1. Any stress? Please elaborate
2. Are you on any medications?
3. Any snoring problems?
4. Have you been diagnosed with Hypertension, diabetes or any other medical condition and if any, what is the treatment you are following.
5. Any habits of taking tea/coffee before going to bed?
6. Do you smoke or consume alcohol? If yes, how many or amount of alcohol and usual timings of consumption?
7. Do you follow any physical exercise routine? If yes, duration and what kind of exercises.

Would like to advise you after knowing the details.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 2 hours later
1. Any stress? Please elaborate
Slight stress which is manageable

2. Are you on any medications?
Yes,I am taking a medicine for high BP(Just borderline)
3. Any snoring problems? -NO
Slightly high BP(Borderline).
5. Any habits of taking tea/coffee before going to bed? - NO
6. Do you smoke or consume alcohol? If yes, how many or amount of alcohol and usual timings of consumption? -NO
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to stress

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the details.
Sorry for the delay.

From the details provided by you, I feel that decrease in sleep could be due to stress, which you say is manageable but sometimes might lead to disturbed sleep.
The best treatment here would be relaxation techniques, meditation or yoga.

Please follow the given instructions which will help you in improving your sleep:
1. Follow relaxation techniques, meditation or yoga. You can join classes for yoga or meditation. For relaxation techniques, follow this link http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/blissing-out-10-relaxation-techniques-reduce-stress-spot

2. Avoid excess tea or coffee per day. Two cups of tea or coffee, one around 11 AM and other at 5 PM should do.

3. Avoid having dinner immediately before going to bed. Maintain a min. gap of 2 hrs in between dinner and going to bed.

4. Avoid any stimulation before going to bed like arguments, watching horror/intense movies or serials, work which involved high concentration.

5. You have not mentioned regarding your physical routine. If you follow, continue with the same or start following physical exercises as this will improve your physical and mental fitness.

6. Consume plenty of fluids like water/fruit juices, it will refresh and replenish you. Avoid drinking water or any fluids just before going to bed.

7. Monitor your Blood pressure regularly and take medications regularly.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help.

Regards.