Suggest ways to gain weight

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi, I want to gain weight and muscle. Can you suggest me vegetarian food for me. Also diet plan. My height is 5.11 and weight is 63kgs.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can have high protein diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Your BMI is normal (19.4) and if you are healthy and happy, then there is no need of diet change. Exercise alone will be helpful in building muscle.

To gain weight, there are two ways- one is to increase fat content in diet e.g taking buttery foods like pastries, cakes, cookies, etc.

If your goal is just to gain muscle and weight then high protein diet will be helpful.
Foods supplying 2 g leucine and 20 g protein (in one meal) are 600ml milk, 85 g cheddar cheese, 450 g plain yoghurt, 100g lentils. Its important that you take the 20 g or 50 g protein extra after each training for muscle recovery.
Following are good examples of foods for muscle recovery:
25 g cashews/almonds plus 150 g strained curd
500ml milk with banana
400ml milk plus 50g oats with nuts and fruits
banana and peanut butter shake

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee