Suggest ways to gain weight

Dr. Sonia Raina

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am underweight, age-37yrs., height-161 cm, I want to increase my weight, as of now I taking the treatment of ayurveda but I don't get any benefit. I facing problem of weakness due to this, no other adverse medical history. I don't have any habit such has smoking, alcohol etc.
Pl advice
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Balanced high calories diet along with appetizer

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings!
I can understand your concern,
It would have been helpful if you had posted your current weight so that i could calculate your body mass index. You should employ the following measures:-

1. Increase your calories intake. These shouldn't be empty calories like in junk food or alcohol as they won't serve your purpose of gaining strength as well. Eat a high protein diet with sprouts, pulses, eggs, yoghurt and cheese. You may also eat butter and ghee but in moderation.

2. Eat 5-6 small meals a day instead of eating only 3 times. Supplement with high protein milk shakes and creatine supplements.

3.Exercise, especially strength training will help you gain muscle mass and will also increase your appetite.

4.Do not drink any fluids for 30 minutes before meals as this may curb your appetite. You may take an appetizer having digestive enzymes before food twice a day like Syrup Sozyme or whichever is available at your drugstore.

5. Get a blood work up done to rule out any thyroid problem and a stool test done to rule out any worm infestation.

Hope this helps you. If you have any further doubts/clarifications, feel free to ask.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sonia Raina 34 minutes later
thanks for posted, as you suggested "Syrup Sozyme", is it helpful me to grow my weight? is it supplement food? any side effect?
I am attaching my lab report which was done in december 2014.
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects rare, choleterol on borderline levels needs control

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings!

I have gone through your attached report.

Syrup Sozyme contains digestive enzymes, these increase your appetite and thus will assist you consume larger quantities of food. It usually doesn't cause any side effects. In few cases, it may cause mild diarrhoea/abdominal pain/nausea.

Your reports are mainly in the normal range, but since your cholesterol levels are on the borderline range, I would advise you to limit the intake of saturated fats such as ghee, butter, oil, egg yolks and processed foods. Eat oatmeal, apples, beans, prunes and high fiber-diet which will increase your healthy cholesterol.

Try to gain weight with a high protein diet as I have already mentioned before. Make it a point to exercise everyday, which will also help with your cholesterol levels.

You may get your cholesterol levels and liver function tests repeated as these reports are almost an year old.

Hope this helps. If you have any further doubts/ clarifications please feel free to contact me.