question-icon

Suggest ways to feed an 8 month old other than breast feed

Posted on Thu, 17 Jul 2014
Question: My daughter is sbout 8. Months. We aee trying to feed her some milk through bottle but she is not taking. What is the right month to introduce bottle. Of course in addition to breast feeding.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No such thing as right month

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There are a few issues about switching to bottle feeding. Firstly if she takes the bottle, it is probable that she will let go of breast feeding.

At this time, whatever hunger she feels should be fulfilled with solid food followed by breast milk. So she does not take adequate solid food at this age, she will not get used to the tastes of these foods. She will get used to taking milk for growth.

So it is better to go slow with the bottle. One saying applies to feeding practices: It is parents job to offer, baby has the choice whether to accept it or not. You cannot force it.

May you can retry after a month or so. I personally think that a baby can be weaned off breast anytime after 9 months of age. She has to be ready for it.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj