Suggest ways to ease pain because of hiatal hernia

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a hiatal hernia. I am also 23 weeks pregnant. I occasionally, especially at night, experience sharp back pain accompanied at time with teeth and jaw pain. The ER ruled out a blood clot. Could this be caused by trapped gas? if so what are some ways to relieve the pain? thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acute gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Acute gastritis is often known to mimic acute gastritis. It could be the cause in you for causing the jaw and pain in the teeth. I am happy that you went to the ER and ruled out other serious possibilities. However the other possibility is a local cause like impacted food particle in the teeth and back ache could be just because of pregnancy and shift of the normal weight ratio of the body.

Here are my suggestions to you

1. Sleep with the head end slightly elevated
2. Avoid spicy food items.
3. Eat smaller meals several times daily, avoid large meals
4. Approach your doctor for a anti gastric medication like pantoprazole, it is relatively safe in pregnancy
5. Avoid milk and milk products during the acute events

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you all the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T