Suggest ways to determine the presence of intact hymen

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have been masturbating a lot in the past few years but never had any sexual intercourse. I would like to check if my hymen is intact or not. Plus I would like to ask about the size of my inner lips. Are they too large?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NEED SOME INFORMATION.

Detailed Answer:

1) How long do you masturbate?
2) Do you insert any object or just fingering?
3) How do you get orgasm by clitoral or vaginal stimulation?

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 2 minutes later
I have been masturbating since 7 years almost 3 times a week. I do not do fingering, just clitoral stimulation. But I heard that cycling can harm the hymen and I cycle on daily basis for almost 15 minutes.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your information.

If you don't do fingering or involve in sexual intercourse, then hymen should be intact as it is deeply seated. Your inner lips are normal sized.

Cycling doesn't cause rupture of hymen. You need one clinical evaluation to know the status of your hymen. It is NON-INVASIVE examination.

Hope, it helps for your information. All the best.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 10 minutes later
doctor did you check the pictures I attached?

Cant you see the hymen in the photo? Can you at least give me an approximation?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PARTIALLY INTACT.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have reviewed your attached image. In my point of view, your hymen seems to be partially intact.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any other query or doubt in mind, then you can easily ask me.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 2 minutes later
what does partially intact mean? Will I probably bleed during a sexual intercourse?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for additional query.

1) Partially Intact hymen - The hymen that partially covers the external vaginal opening and not FULLY.

2) Most women experience slight bleeding on first time sexual intercourse due to rupture of hymen or rough sex. It is quite common.

Hope, I have cleared your doubt. Kindly, close the discussion.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 1 minute later
I need this bleeding. Due to cultural issues. If I bleed then I am a virgin but if I did not then I am not and that is not good. Can partially intact hymen cause bleeding?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS AS BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

Most women get vaginal bleeding following first time sexual intercourse. However, it varies from women to women according to type of hymen, sex pattern etc.

Tough hymen or partially broken hymen may NOT cause bleeding on first time sex. It is NOT a obvious sign of virginity.

Hope, I have answered your query. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 26 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I have uploaded more pictures now. Would you please confirm if you still can see my hymen partially intact or fully ruptured?

Appreciate your valuable time and support
Answered by Dr. S Patra 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ALMOST INTACT.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

You have uploaded more clear image and it looks like INTACT hymen still now. So, don't be worried much.

Hope, it clears your doubt. Let me know if you have any other query and I am happy to help.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 3 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor Soumen,

100% intact? or still partially?

Can I ask about the vaginal opening is it tight or lose compared to other girls? Plus I have sometimes white fluid discharging with no smell. Is it normal?

I truly appreciate your valuable time and great support.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NEED SOME INFORMATION.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

According to picture, it looks like INTACT hymen. However, it can't be comment whether 100% intact or not. You need a clinical evaluation for that.

I need some additional information. These are as follows:

1) How many fingers are entering inside the vagina?
2) Do you have any kind of itching regarding discharge?

waiting for your response.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 3 minutes later
Thanks Doctor Soumen,

I never tried to enter any fingers inside the vagaina. I am worried to rupture my hymen.
I have slight itching sometime, especially few days before period time, but not all the time.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
REPLY THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

I understand your concern. In case of virgin girl, only tip of little finger can be inserted if hymen is not ruptured.

1) What is your last menstrual period date?
2) How often do you get white discharge?
3) Do get any vaginal secretion during masturbation?
4) Do you maintain genital hygiene at that time?
5) Amount of white discharge - mild or heavy?

Waiting for your earliest response.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 4 minutes later
My last period time was 7th of XXXXXXX I usually have my period every 40 days. Not always regular though. But I feel nervous these days which is an indication for me that is coming up soon in the following few days.

These days I get them always. whenever I spread my legs I find some white inside and it has no smell.
no I only stimulate the inner lips and the clitoral
sometimes. I use my hands so I always make sure my hands are properly washed
none sometimes and heavy other times.

Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. S Patra 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MOSTLY PHYSIOLOGICAL.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for additional information.

In my point of view, your vaginal discharge (white) is mostly physiological due to hormonal effect on cervical and bartholin gland. You should maintain your genital hygiene properly. Don't use soap. Just wash with plain water.

If there is NO intense itching or bad smell, then you DON'T require medical treatment. Conservative management is sufficient in this case.

Hope, it helps to understand properly. If you have any other query, you can revert back me at the earliest.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 6 hours later
Dr. Soumen,

your responses are very helpful. Thanks a lot.
doctor does partially intact hymen means that it got slightly ruptured? or this this what it should be? does it mean that it got slightly damaged?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for query.

Partially Intact hymen - The hymen that partially covers the external vaginal opening and not FULLY.

It doesn't signify that your hymen is ruptured. It is just one type of hymen. So, you wouldn't be worried unnecessarily.

Hope, it clears your doubt. Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen