Suggest ways to deal with alcohol addiction

Dr. Vipul Prajapati

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hello sir.. My brother become habitual of drinking alcohol, I need your help to get rid of drinking,can you please suggest best way for this
Answered by Dr. Vipul Prajapati 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consult psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Thank you for your query.

Best way to get rid of drinking is first to motivate him to quit alcohol and then admit in psychiatric nursing home.

First of all motivation of patient is very important without that difficult to quit.
Address him that alcohol addiction is psychiatric illness and which affects him a lot in all ways.

There are many medications like benzodiazepins e.g, lorazepam, clonazepam, chlordizepoxide, diazepam etc helps to relieve withdrawal features and topiramate and acamprosate are anti-craving medications.

Aversion therapy also we can try with Disulfirum medication which causes alcohol disulfiram reaction and that's why patient quits alcohol.

Consult psychiatrist for detail history and medication.
discuss above medication with treating doctor.
Awaiting your response.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vipul Prajapati 29 minutes later
All above mentioned are medicines or something else.. benzodiazepins e.g, lorazepam, clonazepam, chlordizepoxide, diazepam etc. Aversion therapy.

We try to told him motivate him lot but he didn't understand us. At that point of time he regret himself but again he starts doing that..can you please share your contact number so that we can discuss it in detail.
Answered by Dr. Vipul Prajapati 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
admit in psychiatric nursing home

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

if he is not motivated by you then once you take him to psychiatrist which help to motivate him and admit in nursing home.

If then also not ready then you can take a chance with aversion therapy with Disulfirum which cause reaction which may be mild to severe depend upon alcohol intake.

Also do counselling regarding alcohol problem with counselling expert.

As concerns the contact details, according to the terms of the platform we can not share personal details.

Thank you.

Dr Vipul Prajapati

Follow up: Dr. Vipul Prajapati 16 hours later
One more thing he won't be going to even doctor or nursing for the treatment. We need to give him medicines without his knowledge. Can I give him medicine directly.
Please suggest medicines.
Answered by Dr. Vipul Prajapati 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
consult psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Without informing your brother you can give him medication but there are many risk factors.

You can give him Disulfiram but there are many risk factors like after taking medication, if he consumes alcohol then there are chances of adverse reactions like nausea, vomiting, flushing, skin reaction, giddiness, imbalance, coma, death etc..

And this medication is available only with psychiatrist, no other pharmacist has this medication.

So consult any local psychiatrist and discuss about this medication.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari