• question-icon

    Suggest ways to deal with aggressive behaviour in a father

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I've been struggling with something serious for quite some time-

1. My father is 75 years old & for the last 35 years my father has abused alcohol
2. he was very emotionally abusive towards me & my family when we all lived under the same roof when I was younger.
3. When I got older I left home & have been afraid to ever return- although I do visit the city my parents live in often.
4. Throughout my life I was close to my mother - but that closeness to her - meant that I had to watch my father drink himself to oblivion daily & be exposed to his mistreatment & emotional abuse
5. My mother longs to have a relationship with me & urges me to visit her often
6. Recently I have visited my parents but chosen to stay in a hotel.
7. I also fear that my father's health is deteriorating but he continues to abuse alcohol & nothing that I can say will stop him from this lifestyle. It's very painful to watch him slowly kill himself with this destructive lifestyle
6. How can I have a relationship with my mother & the rest of my family - but still avoid the hurt & pain that feel every time I spend time near my father?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry you are going through so much right now. Here are my thoughts.

You mention fear and pain when thinking about how your father is drinking himself to death. These are of course very human reactions -- but I think it is important to remember a couple important points. First, your father dying does not undo the emotional pain and abuse he has caused you throughout your life. Second, you have done all you can to help him -- alcoholics must make the decision themselves to stop drinking, and there is nothing anyone else can do.

Given your father's unwillingness to change and his history of emotional abuse towards you and your family, it is perfectly reasonable to try to maintain a relationship with those family members who have a loving relationships with you, such as your mother. Visiting and staying in a hotel is a perfectly reasonable strategy -- many people do this. You should make it clear when you visit that you are there to see your mother and the rest of your family, and it is okay to set the boundary that you do not want to interact with your father until he seeks treatment for alcohol abuse. This may seem or appear harsh, but given your father's history, it actually isn't. This is a common ultimatum we suggest to families dealing with chronic alcoholics. And this is likely the only way to maintain a relationship with the rest of your family.

I hope this was helpful to you. Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe


Practicing since :2014

Answered : 2242 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Alcohol abuse

doctor1 MD

my mother is approximately 7 years post-liver transplant, which was undertaken due to alcohol related cirrhosis. She has not had an alcoholic drink...

doctor1 MD

I am 52 year old, 5 feet 6 inch height, 79 kg, was suffering from liver failure problem, got treated for that Punarnava Ayuervedic hospital Udupi,...

doctor1 MD

i was bitten by a small puppy a week ago, i am on rabbis vaccine course n had 2 doses of vaccine( ie 3rd day, 7th day) on last sat ie 13th oct...

doctor1 MD

My girlfriend who is 47, has been having leg cramps since we started having sex a few weeks ago. She doesn t get them any other time and generally...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX We have spoken before about my diagnosis of Parkinson's which happened acutely this past summer. Now I am finally taking...

doctor1 MD

My feet have started feeling hot and mild tingling from time to time, notice it most when sitting, also slight tingling in hands when sitting. no...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe
  • Q - What other medication can show a false positive for Oxazepam and Temazepam?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation

  • Q - Which genetic test predicts how effective psychiatric medication are at...

  • Q - What causes erectile dysfunction after kegel exercises?

  • Q - Suggest ways to wean off Abilify

  • Q - What do these PFT test results indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for visual hallucinations

  • Q - Suggest treatment for borderline personality disorder

  • Q - How to rule out bipolar disorder?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Hydrocodone