Suggest ways to control hypertension while on Lisinopril

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I take one Lisinopril 20mg tab daily for kidney bleeding,but it don't help my hypertension.When I take my blood pressure = 133 on top, 95 bottom.What must I or my doctor do to lower the bottom blood pressure number to less than 90?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add some more medication

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Lisinopril is a good medication for bp control. But if bp(either upper one - systolic or lower one - diastolic) is yet not coming down, we generally add another medicine from another class of drug. In your case it should be a Calcium Channel Blocker (Like - Amlodipine, Cilnidipine).
Discuss it with your physician to plan further management strategy.
Let me know if you need any more help.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 35 hours later
1. How soon should there be favorable results ( lowering diastolic bp to below 90 )when one began taking Amlodipine or Cilnidipine ?
2. Would it be safe to take Amlodipine or Cilnidipine with Lisinopril 20mg ?
3. What could be an allergic reaction caused by taking Amlodipine or Cilnidipine ?
4. Should one be concern about bone denserty before and after taking Amlodipine or Cilnidipne ?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 2 hours later
Brief Answer
Yes it is safe to take it with Lisinopril

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Let's answer your questions one by one
1) After starting the 2nd drug(Amlodipine or Cilnidipine), bp should come down within 2-3 days.
2) Yes it is safe to take it with Lisinopril
3) Side effects include - gastritis, leg swelling (which is less with cilnidipine).
4) You don't have to be concerned about bone density before or after taking it.
It is a very safe drugs & could be taken safely even with a deranged kidney function.
I hope it answers your query. If their you have any more question, I'll be happy to help.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D