• question-icon

Suggest ways to control hypertension while on Bystolic

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm on Bystolic 5mg per day and had a CMP done. All results are normal except my Sodium which is 128 and Chloride is also low. Can Bystolic be causing the low Sodium. Other than some hypertension, I am a healthy 57 year old male.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that low Sodium levels are not a known adverse effect of Bystolic.

So, I don't think that your low Sodium levels are related to Bystolic intake.

But, you should know that Prozac can cause this adverse effect. Low sodium levels have been encountered in up to 1% of the patients taking this drug.

Low salt intake can also lead to these changes in sodium and chloride levels.

Coming to this point, I would recommend increasing salt intake in your diet (although this can cause a raise in your blood pressure values.

If these low values of Sodium and Chloride persist, despite increasing daily salt intake, I would recommend discussing with your doctor on the possibility of switching from Prozac to another drug of this group, which has not this adverse effect.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 38 hours later
Thank you for your response. The dose of Prozac was 40mg (decreased to 30mg several weeks ago), along with 2mg of Abilify. Blood pressure is well controlled on bystolic. Is there any data on the percentage of decrease in Sodium from normal levels that can occur with Prozac and are there any other disease states that could cause hyponatremia and low chloride, but not affect any other electrolyte levels?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Unfortunately there are not enough data to give specific numbers and percentage of the low sodium levels.

From the other hand low salt intake, persistent vomiting or diarrhea can lead to these electrolyte changes.

But, there are not any specific medical disorders that can lead to this type of electrolyte imbalance.

Coming to this point, I would recommend increasing daily salt intake (you should know that salt contains sodium and chloride in equal amounts).

If these low levels of sodium and chloride persist, despite increasing salt intake, you should discuss with your doctor on the possibility of reducing Prozac dose.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist