• question-icon

Suggest ways to control hypertension in an elderly person

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Last night when I was trying to fall asleep I experienced something I have never felt before. I felt my whole body feel as though I had been electrocuted...my whole body jumped and I'm still experiencing tinkling in hands and feet and tightness around my chest and back. I am a 65 year old female and take med for high blood pressure. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seizures to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, you should get evaluated by your Neurologist and by tests such brain MRI, EEG in order to evaluate the possibility of seizures.

Conditions that may cause seizures include stroke, brain vessels malformations, masses, etc.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 43 minutes later
I am not experiencing as much tingling in fingers and toes...and chest discomfort is minimal. My blood pressure is 155/88 which is about normal for me and heart rate is 86 not abnormal for me. Should heart attack be also considered?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heart attack very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I don't think it is necessary to consider heart attack in your case, because of the symptoms and normal values of cardiac parameters.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical