• question-icon

Suggest ways to control hypertension in an elderly person

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have veins primarily at my left temple and lesser at right temple that extend upward. I have had these for 2 days now. I have not taken any medicine for them, but I did lay down and put a cold pack on them last night for about ten minutes, each side. My sister (an RN, retired) says that it sounds like you are under stress and the veins are reacting to it. What do I have, I'm 77 years old.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably high blood pressure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

High blood pressure should be considered as a possible condition that may cause moderately enlarged blood vessels.

So, please get your blood pressure measured first, regularly for a couple of days in order to understand better your condition.

If abnormal values, get evaluated by your primary care Doctor accordingly.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical